Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Apologies are Not Enough

Even in a town full of neo-hippies and urban farmers, the white girl glowering at Holl stood out. She wore faded blue bellbottom jeans and a tight mustard yellow top that turned her yellow hair sallow. A loose ring of clovers slipped over one brow. She stalked up to Holl, flicking imaginary pieces of apple from her hair.

Holl stood, holding her book up like a shield. "I'm really sorry. I didn't see you there." The girl continued to advance and Holl wondered if she should grab up her bike and ride away - or if this would be her first fight. The pirates in her book would definitely fight, but they had swords. She just had a library book at hand and if it got really damaged she could kiss the rest of her summer allowance away. It was too bad she'd already thrown the apple core. Wet fruit in the face would really buy her some getaway time right now.

"What do you mean you didn't see me?" the girl demanded. "I was standing right there!" Her expansive gesture included the woods as a whole.

"Um." Holl pointed at the thick honeysuckle hedge. "Kind of hard to see past that. I swear I didn't see you." She leaned over and picked up her bike, tossing her book in the basket. "Sorry again."

The girl stopped and glanced back at the hedge, then turned back to Holl with a look of consideration on her face. "Okay. I guess I was hidden." She grinned abruptly and stuck out her hand. "No harm, I guess." Holl hesitated, then reached out her hand as well. The girl clasped it firmly and pumped it like a politician. "Pleased to meet you...."

"Holl."

"Pleased to meet you, Holl. I'm Ruth Ann." She glanced around like she was looking for someone. "You know, I could accept your apology but if you really want to make it up to me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment